5/02/2007

Sooo Seinfeldy.

Last week at work I arrived one morning to find a mysterious note on my keyboard that said:

Lindsey,

Sorry about the hat.

Thanks,

(Illegible)


I asked a few people throughout the day if they knew what it meant but no one had any idea. I kept trying to remember any hat pictures I had cataloged in the last few weeks that the note might have been in reference to. In the afternoon I asked my boss and someone around her said "Oh yeah, that's my friend, he left that because he saw you in the hallway and thought that you smiled at him but then looked at his hat and stopped smiling. He thought you hated his hat!"

It kind of weirded me out. I think it played in to an already existing fear that I'm doing something offensive but no one's telling me. I thought, "Does everyone that I smile at who's not wearing a hat think hate their face? "

I was unsure how to handle the note but my coworker assured me that the guy just has a weird sense of humor so I emailed him back with the following response:

Thanks for the personalized note but no apologies are necessary. As a bald man often times hats are a necessity for me. My head gets cold in the winter and the summertime sun makes me susceptible to getting sun burnt on my head, which really hurts. I have a hat for any harsh weather condition that the seasons may put on my path. It’s rare to meet another hat enthusiast, maybe a lunchtime trip to the local haberdashery might be in order.

Thanks again,

Lindsey


It's been about a week but I never received back a response. Any help would be appreciated on the following questions:

Was that an appropriate response? Have any of you ever sensed any hated towards your face or hat when I've smiled at you in the past? When I inevitably have to see this guy at work again, what should I do?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne-mel said...

1-I think that was an appropriate response, although there is always a possibility that he could take it wrong.
2-I have never felt that you looked at me or my hats hatefully. Perhaps because you wear glasses, that guy probably couldn't see or decipher your gaze. I think that happens more often than hat-hatred.
3-When you see him again, make lots of hat-oriented jokes. Especially if he's not wearing a hat. OR, join a hat club with him!
Good luck!

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha that really is very Seinfeld-y. You should get a really ridiculous hat and set up a seemingly inpromtu encounter with that guy, and then act like you don't know what he's talking about when he (inevitably) mentions your hat (maybe knock it of your head in horror and stamp on it as though you didn't know it was there). Or not.

I don't think you're naturally a hat or face hater though, that was probably just the unjustified reaction of a strange person...

11:12 PM  
Blogger Kirsa said...

I think that's a very great response, but if I think that, then it might be a little enthusiastic for an average joe. It all depends on the guy's sense of humor. But then again, he invited all of this when he left a note just because you didn't give him (and his hat) an infinite smile. Time for Plan Cold As Ice.

12:30 PM  
Blogger LAB said...

I think the new plan is to wear an over sized foam cowboy hat...forever.

3:20 PM  
Blogger moobs said...

I can imagine Stuart leaving that note, and the note being really funny. But if this guy didn't know you, I think you REALLY HURT HIS FEELINGS about his hat. Obviously, he was really nervous about the hat all morning and you crushed his soul a little. For whatever reason, he probably hasn't been dressing himself for long, has issues, and should be steered clear of.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Sarah Heston said...

I think you should punch him and make a bunch of "oohhhh hattie tattie" comments.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home