5/12/2005

Dixie Stampeded.

Yesterday evening after work I went to my kickball team Champain Jam's (pronounced champagne jam) Jamiforms design party. We chose pink and gold as our colors. I'll be wearing a pink and white striped, um, we'll call it a blouse, with a champagne glass in gold puffy paint on the chest and CJ on the right breast. I'm hoping to do more with it but that's what I've got so far.

After that, Heather and I went down to the LCD Soundsystem and M.I.A. show. M.I.A had some sound problems but were really fun to watch and LCD were amazing! A low point was when some fools tried to start a thankfully short lived crowd surf. It only lasted until the girl being surfed flowed into a group of people who were having none of it and went down hard. It was like I willed it to happen with my mind! Despite the crowd it was one of the funniest shows I've been to in a long time. My toes were tapping from beginning to end! After the show I went up to Wire to dance MORE. I'm sapped; it feels like I haven't stopped going all week. I'm looking forward to a weekend filled with rest and On Demand television watching.

Last weekend was busy and adventure filled too. I went out to the Moroccan restaurant in Capitol Hill with Heather and her friend Maria who was visiting from New York. When we walked in we were greeted by a belly dancer with a sarong full of dollars. Guys were staring at her like they were watching a Scores girl but they were with their families! It wasn't dirty by any means but had a thinking mans Hooters element to it that I didn't enjoy.

What made it worse for me personally was the belly dancer was randomly pulling people away from their dinners to dance. I stared down at my Chicken Bastilla and tried not to make eye contact. I have a phobia being a part of public dinner entertainment. I think it all stems from a summer trip my family took the summer before my senior year of high school.

My Family traveled to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, the "Appalachian Riviera" as it's known more commonly around those parts. As you might assume by my pasteyness I'm not a big fan of the sun. Because of that my family and I were at odds. I'd spent the whole week inside the condo watching HBO's coverage of Wimbledon. A game of Mini-golf was the only unanimously agreed upon activity all week. Tension was high going into our last night of vacation, which my step-dad decided would be spent at Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede.

Needless to say that as a teenager, I wasn't totally pumped about going to Dixie Stampede. Now I'd be like "point me to the chuck wagon…cuz I'm on it!" but those were more awkward times. Maybe you haven't heard of Dixie Stampede. It can only be found in Myrtle Beach, Branson, Pigeon Forge and other exclusive cities like those. Think of a Medieval Times style dinner theater but with Cowboys.

Mid-show the place goes dark and a huge spotlight shines down on my family. We had been selected to run buckets moonshine with our feet tied together in a contest verses another family. I was horrified! I was in the spotlight for a painful amount of time cringing while my family was at the edge of the light trying to coax me out. They kept pulling on me yelling "COME ON! COME ON!" until I held up the show long enough they threw in a rodeo clown as the forth person in my place. The next five minutes spent watching my family flop around with a rodeo clown in sand and horse shit was pure bliss. That ended when they got back and were pissed because I embarrassed them in front of the Dixie Stampede audience.

My future apologies go out to all belly dancers, jugglers, magicians, and clowns dinner entertainers but stay the fuck away from me...I'm traumatized.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home