5/31/2005

Tab cola.

I love three day weekends! If I could arrange my vacation days to have one three-day weekend a month I would. Friday was the Kanda/IQU/Of Montreal show. It was an all-ages show at 5:30. I wasn't looking forward to that aspect of it but it pretty ideal actually. I got see a great show with all my friends, drank, came home early and went to sleep fulfilled at 11ish. Most bar all-ages shows in Seattle are partitioned down the middle between drunks and kids. It's weird, but if you're drinking you don't really care. It must be weird for the kids though, the kids who haven't been drinking, at least.

I'm so proud of Kanda! They are so fun live, they never stop impressing me! IQU was wonderful as always. I think that might have been their first IQU show with William Goldsmith (Sunny Day Real Estate, Foo Fighters, and a load of other bands) drumming with the band. He plays all their beats live and it's a sight to be seen, to say the least. As if there wasn't enough reasons already I highly recommend going to see IQU soon. It was also one of the best Of Montreal shows I've ever seen! That's saying a lot because it's about my seventh time seeing them. The Elephant 6 bands came though the WV/KY/OH tri-state area a lot back in the day.

I spent Saturday evening drinking and eating chocolate pots with Heather and Brad at B&O. Then we went to Erik's set at the Bus Stop for a bit. I love that bar for multiple reasons, one being that they have my favorite diet drink Tab. I've been a huge Tab fan since my childhood. The truest words that I've ever heard spoken about Tab was when Andy Warhol said "You can see a billboard for Tab and think: Nancy Regan drinks tab, Gloria Vanderbilt drinks Tab. Jackie Onassis drinks Tab, and just think, you can drink Tab too. Tab is Tab and no matter how rich you are, you can't get a better one than the homeless woman on the corner is drinking. All the Tabs are the same. And all the Tabs are good. Nancy Regan knows it, Gloria Vanderbilt knows it, Jackie Onassis knows it, Katharine Hepburn knows it, the baglady knows it, and you know it." True, True!

I had a Whisky and Tab the last time I was there so I wanted to try something different. I asked the bar tender for a suggestion so he fixed me a Malibu and Tab which as he said "tastes like a drag queen." Hmmm, in theory seemed like it might be the best and or worst drink EVER. Malibu is a coconut flavored liquor and I don't like coconut, so the drink was a bust. Working at seven throughout the week has really affected my staying out late on the weekends. I got sleepy at about midnight so we headed home but I was able to convince Heather to stop for some midnight Pizza at Hot Mama's on the way home. Here's an excerpt from an email I sent brad about that experience:

The crowd was a weird mix of queers from R. Place and people just out of the film fest, also queers. We overheard the end of this great conversation. This guy was trying to hit on this Asian guy who yelled as if he was offended "NO, I SAID I'M GOING TO FEEL THE PAIN TOMORROW!" Then we hear the other guy apologizing "oh I'm sorry I thought you said you were going to the Philippians tomorrow?! It was like a big gay rolland and martin's laugh in going on up in there.


Sunday I went to the Seattle International Film Fest with Heather to see Pizza. I wasn't super impressed. The flow was all funky but there was a lot of potential. Monday was my day of rest with some On Demand Six Feet Under watching and apartment cleaning. My goal is to have the place completely clean by my birthday on Thursday. By the way, we'll be doing something mostly likely on Saturday for my birthday! I'll let you know more when we figure out what we'll be doing exactly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home