6/27/2005

Ma Maw Libby & Poppie.

My grandparents have been in town since last Tuesday. If you haven’t seen or heard from me in the last two weeks it's because most of my free time has been spent underground touring, duck boating, and Buca di Bepping...and the week prier to Tuesday was spent feverously cleaning my apartment.

I think they hated most of the things that I thought they would enjoy. Maybe not hated, didn't get, I should say, our Japanese super-grocery Uwajimaya for example:

Them : We were going to buy you some detergent. Where's that in here?
Me : Well I'm not really sure I'd want to get that here, I just thought you'd think this place was neat.
Them : It's a nice place, now let's go a store where we can buy you some detergent and dish washing liquid.

It's very sweet, but that "grandparent factor" makes them very hard to entertain. Some highlights:

*When I used Sweet N’ Low in my tea and my grandmother got really fired up about a period in collage when I stared using sugar instead because I was afraid of saccharin cancer. I remember it being a point of contention at the time but apparently it's a grudge that she’s held for the last 10 years. As soon as I ripped open the little pink package my grandmother let out an "I remember when you were too good for Sweet N' Low". What!? She'll call me at 5AM because she still can't get that whole East/West coast time difference thing, but me not using Sweet N' Low, now that’s worth remembering!

*PRIDE! All week they kept asking "the gays are having a parade?" Not in a "how dare they" sort of way, again, they just didn't get it. They have no basis of understanding, parades back home are marching bands, the local seniors 'jump rope for heart team", and lots of fire engines.

*My grandmother identifying anyone with a bag (plastic, paper, or backpack) as homeless. Then for the rest of the week she kept talking about how "Hoopty" was homeless once. After much deliberating between me and my cousin we finely figured out that "Hoopty" is Whoopi Goldberg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home