7/13/2005

Claire Elmore.

I saw the doppelganger for my friend Claire Elmore eating at the Crumpet Shop today. It was uncanny; she looked like Claire everything down to the cat’s eye glasses. I’m realize that’s the easy association, ‘cat’s eye glasses = you look like Claire’ could be like peoples grossly inaccurate ‘bald head = you look like Moby’ for me, but I swear in this case the girl REALLY looked like Claire. Seeing doppelganger Claire reminded me how delightfully bizarre real Claire was, uncanny shit would happen to her on a daily basis.

While working phone customer service for Iomega in Huntington she fell in love with one of her customers ON A CALL and soon afterwards moved to Florida to be with him. He owned a tech business that created a new device for emergency vehicles that broke into car radio signals letting people know that there was an emergency. For example, if a police car with its siren on was within one hundred feet of your car a message would play on the radio saying “please move aside, an emergency vehicle is approaching”.

The last time I talked to Claire she sent me a video of a news story about that device saying “check it out I was on the news”. I watch the clip and I don’t see her anywhere so she tells me to watch it again, more closely. When I watched it again, although she’s not in the entire story, I noticed that her voice is the robot that says “please move aside, an emergency vehicle is approaching”. I think a few cities have started using this technology, if yours is one of them, I’m proud to say that’s my friend! If you’re wondering (as you may assume by her voice being his robot muse) at that point things were still going really well with her boyfriend and that was years after the customer service call that sparked their romance.

Sadly, that’s the last time I heard from Claire. Claire Elmore, I doubt you google your name as much as I do, but if you do and find this please email me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm a friend of claire's as well - she has a tendancy to disappear for long periods of time, doesn't she! anyways, i googled her name and your site came up. if you do get in touch with her tell her sarah says hi as well.

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bored at work myself and I googled Claire as well. I hope this makes your day, I have Claire's current email address! It is celmore@medaxiom.com. I too have had the pleasure of knowing Claire. We worked together at a coffee shop at the beach where she moved down to be with her boyfriend. She truly is one of a kind - good luck getting in touch with her, and tell her Lee Anne says hi!

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ironically, also an old friend of Claire's from the high school era... googled her name to find her and found this post. That's DEFINITELY the same Claire! Cat's eye glasses? "Delightfully bizarre"?

I miss Claire. :(

-Todd from SI

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know Claire.
She is marrying the boy she met on the tech service call. This is amazingly random.

Amazing girl. Loving the google. Melinda

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home